Packed full of protein, b vitamins, iron and calcium, these balls will get you jumping. I needed an easy breakfast option this morning after a weekend camping outdoors with storm Brian generously whipping up lashings of rain and gale force winds.
Why was I camping in October? I was at Yestival, a 2 day festival celebrating “community, positive mindset and adventurous thinking” in West Sussex. The organisers put on a series of talks all weekend with adventurers who have made incredible journeys.
As storm Brian swept in and nearly dragged us form our tents, I felt my confidence and aspiration for outdoor adventure tested. My camping buddy started to hallucinate there was a giant slug in our tent and I discovered my wellies were no longer waterproof offering up permanently soggy feet. I dreamnt of hot tubs and dipping my drenched heels in warm bubbly water with a delicious prosecco in hand.
So I might not be cut out for the damp British weather but the message was loud and clear at Yestival. Make positive actions, adventure can mean different things to different people. Whilst one person fantasises of hiking continents, or sailing the world another dreams of writing a book or setting up their own business.
My sense of adventure is wrapped up in the latter. Setting up your own business feels a scary ladder to climb and I scream yes to giving up all the time (perhaps I’m not asking myself the right questions). Being surrounded by 450 positive, action orientated people this weekend was invigorating. Everyone can create their own journey, large or small, and everyone wants to see each other succeed.
I was wholly underprepared for my micro adventure, with leaky wellies, no edible provisions and a 1 season sleeping bag. I came home and threw myself straight into the kitchen to make these protein packed bliss balls with coconut, tahini and cacao. These are a must for future hikes, coffee breaks, and busy times on the go.
Cacao Tahini Bliss Balls (makes 9)
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 8 sayer dates
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup oats
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Black sesame seeds
- White sesame seeds
- Shredded coconut
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until you get a thick sticky “dough”. You might need to scrape down the sides half way through.
- Roll into bite-sized balls with your hands.
- On separate plates sprinkle the black and white sesame seeds and shredded coconut.
- Roll the balls in the seeds or shredded coconut and in the palm of your hands to smooth over.
- Place in the fridge in an airtight container and these will last 7 days.